Culicchia Neurological physicians addressed nurses and medical professionals specializing in stroke at the 2018 West Jefferson Medical Center Stroke Conference. Neurologist Michael Puente is director of the hospital’s stroke unit and addressed the question of when to administer the clot-busting drug, tPA.
Noted Interventional Neuroradiologist Robert Dawson, MD lectured on past and current stroke treatment strategies. Both emphasized the need for patients to call 911 if stroke is suspected and to be familiar with the symptoms of stroke:
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg on one side of the body.
- Sudden confusion, difficulty talking or understanding.
- Sudden trouble seeing on one side.
- Sudden, severe difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of coordination or balance.
- Sudden, severe headache for no known reason.